In Yoga, there is a place for the hands in every pose as their positioning helps to carry and circulate pranic energy in the body.
Mudra refers to a hand posture. It translates to “gesture” or “energetic seal”.
Yoni represents “vagina” or “the womb” or it can refer to the entire female reproductive system.
Yoni Mudra is one of the most cherished seals. It is known to help quiet the mind, bring clarity and reduce menstrual imbalances and pain.
It is believed that the benefits of practicing Yoni Mudra are:
- promotes the flow of prana (energy)
- improves fertility
- improves menstrual imbalances
- reduces menstrual pain
- calms the mind
- promotes clarity
- alleviates stress
- strengthens the immune system
My Recommendations to Practice Yoni Mudra:
- Begin in a comfortable cross-legged position, Sukhasana (Easy Pose) or Padmasana (Lotus Pose), in a serene environment
- Let the spine grow tall
- Bring the palms of the hands together in prayer, Namaste Mudra, and point the thumbs up toward the sky
- Open your palms and press the tips of the fingers together
- Keep the index fingers and thumbs joined
- Fold the pinky fingers, ring fingers, and middle fingers inward and draw the backs of the fingers to touch
- Point the index fingers downward
- Gently draw the hands in toward the navel
- Tuck the chin, close the eyes, and focus on the breath
- Breathe slowly and deeply through the nose
Yoni mudra is an excellent practice to combine with meditation. If you feel comfortable, stay, and meditate. Aim for five minutes or longer.